Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Interview with Bimbo Boy!



The summer of 2005 gave Bimbo Boy his first single "Je Suis Une Superstar" and, soon after, he started working with songwriter Anders Dannvik. They wrote the song "Drama Queen" together and it was submitted to Melodifestivalen. The song didn't make it to the semi-finals but made it into the top 100 of the 3200 songs submitted which is a great achievement.

Schlager Queen: Hi Bimbo boy thanks for being my 1st interview on schlagerqueen!

Bimbo Boy : I'm honoured! SQ: So are you a big Eurovision fan?

BB: Yeah, I've loved Eurovision music since I was a little kid. My first big idols were ABBA and France Gall.

SQ: Fab! Who are your favourite Swedish artists?

BB: I have many but some of the best are disco stars like Lili & Susie, Pernilla Wahlgren, Lena Philipsson and Pay TV. But also ABBA and Agnetha Fältskog's solo material.

SQ: Who were you favourites in Melodifestivalen this year?

BB:My favourites were BWO, Charlotte Perrelli and Thérèse Andersson.

SQ: Good choices! How fabulous are Charlotte's diamante microphone and head rolls?!

BB: She's amazing! So glamorous! And the song is lovely too. I love disco music!

SQ: What is your favourite entry of all time?

BB:Only one? Oh... Teach In with "Ding-A-Dong"... Or maybe France Gall's or Céline Dion's songs.

SQ: Will you enter Melodifestivalen in 2009?

BB: That depends on the jury. But it's one of my biggest dreams and I'll keep on submitting songs to the contest. So keep your fingers crossed!

SQ:What makes a great Eurovision entry?

BB:The sound is the most important thing to me. I love electronic sounds. The vocalist must have a good voice to and the song needs to have a catchy melody. Then of course a keychange is a big plus.

SQ:What are your plans for the future?

BB: We're planning to release a new disco single in the near future and continue submitting songs to Melodifestivalen. Then I'm working on a novel about my life, about being gay in Sweden.

SQ: Sounds great. So back to the real issues of the schlager world. Who would win in a fight Carola,Charlotte,Linda, Nanne or Lena?!

BB: Lena Philipsson, of course! She's like Catwoman or something. I love her!

SQ: So are you really a drama queen?!

BB: No, not at all! At least not like the person in my song. I wrote the song 'cause I was tired of drama queens that use people and lie to get what they want. I believe in being kind and humble, so I'm not like that at all.

SQ: Can Ireland ever win eurovision again?

BB: Sure, I still love "The Voice" from 1996. But I think Ireland needs to send a stronger song. No more ballads. Send a really catchy disco tune!

SQ: EXACTLY!! Schlager for Ireland 2009 thats what I say! SQ: Thanks Bimbo Boy. Wishing you all the best for the future.

BB: Thank You. For more Bimbo Boy visit: http://www.bimboboy.com Check out the video for 'Drama Queen'

1 comment: